Dog Adoption Contract
Adopter's Acknowledgement of Terms:
The Adopter(s) hereby acknowledges receipt of the above described animal and therefore agrees to the following terms and conditions:
1. The adopter agrees to pay OOTW an adoption donation as indicated above. The adopter understands that the adoption donation for the pet is immediately spent on saving another pet's life and therefore if the pet is returned for any reason the adoption donation is non-refundable after 30 days.
2. The adopter agrees to pay all transportation cost, if applicable. The transportation cost is non-refundable.
3. The adopter agrees this pet will be examined by a licensed veterinarian at least once each year and will receive adequate vaccinations and treatments to ensure good health. The adopter agrees to have the pet on heartworm preventative. If pet has NOT already been spayed or neutered. Adopter agrees to have the animal spayed/neutered on or before the age of (3) three months. OOTW agrees to pay for the cost of the sterilization provided adopter uses one of OOTW's veterinarians. Proof of Sterilization must be provided to OOTW at PO Box 7365 Little Rock, AR 72217 within 30 days after the pet's sterilization. 4. The Adopter agrees that the pet will be treated as a family member with loving care, affection and respect. The adopter agrees to provide the pet with a good and safe home with proper care and attention, which includes a healthy diet, fresh water and shelter at all times. When the pet is outdoors, it shall be provided protection from the elements by a dry, insulated, draft-fee shelter that provides shade from the sun as needed. The pet shall be maintained in an adequate enclosed area with a solid and secure fenced yard or on leash at all times. The pet is not to ride loose in the back of pick-up trucks. The pet is not to be chained. The pet shall not be allowed to roam at will. The pet is to wear a collar or harness with an identification tag in the unlikely event he becomes lost. The adopter understands that pets can be very long-lived and have made or will make the appropriate arrangements should their pets out live the adopter or the adopter can no longer care for the pet.
5. In the event OOTW discovers the inhumane treatment of this pet or breach of this Contract, it is agreed OOTW has the right to immediately take possession of the pet without notice to the adopter. It is understood and accepted by the adopter that any time during the entire life of the pet home visits may be conducted by a person representing OOTW to check on the welfare of the above-named pet. The pet will not be used for any illegal purpose, if this clause is broken, the adopter understands that the pet will be immediately confiscated by OOTW, and all law enforcement agencies will be notified.
6. OOTW makes no warranties or statements regarding the pet's health, medical status or temperament. Adopter understands that the pet may have been rescued from an animal shelter and may have been exposed to communicable disease(s) and that it is critical that the pet be examined promptly by a veterinarian PRIOR TO EXPOSURE TO OTHER PETS. It is further agreed that environmental changes may effect and change the temperament of the above-named pet and that OOTW has no liability or responsibility of any nature regarding later defects with the pet, or injuries or damage to any person or property which may be caused by the pet. The adopter agrees to indemnify and hold harmless OOTW and its members or representatives against any and all claims for any injury or property damage to the adopter or anyone else. The adopter understands that with domesticated pets that modifying certain behaviors may require training, expert advice and/or patience. The adopter agrees to work with the pet to modify any such undesirable behavior without the use of negative reinforcement or other methods which may cause harm to the pet. The adopter understands that certain behaviors may never be entirely eradicated.
7. In the event it is determined by either an OOTW representative or the adopter that the pet should not remain with the adopter, it is agreed the pet shall be returned to OOTW by the adopter. No refund will be given after 30 days of receiving the pet. The adopter is to pay any and all return transportation cost, if applicable. The pet may not be transferred to another owner; the pet may not be sold, given away or placed in another home or organization, without express written consent of OOTW. If euthanasia becomes necessary, it is agreed the pet will not be turned over to a humane society or animal shelter for this service. OOTW is available for consultation, advice, and assistance in this and all other areas pertaining to the health, training, compatibility, etc. of the adopted pet.
ADOPTER UNDERSTANDS THAT OOTW HAS INVESTED A GREAT DEAL OF FINANCIAL AND PERSONAL RESOURCES INTO THE CARE, TREATMENT AND PLACEMENT OF THE PET, THAT OOTW MAKES A COMMITMENT TO THE PET FOR LIFE AND THAT THE ACTUAL DAMAGES ACCRUING TO OOTW IN THE EVENT ADOPTER FAILS TO COMPLY WITH THE RETURN PROVISIONS SET FORTH IN THIS PARAGRAPH WOULD BE DIFFICULT TO PROVE WITH CERTAINTY. ACCORDINGLY, THE PARTIES HAVE AGREED THAT IN THE EVENT OF A BREACH OF THIS PARAGRAPH 7, ADOPTER SHALL PAY LIQUIDATED DAMAGES TO OOTW IN THE AMOUNT OF $500.00, NOT AS A PENALTY, BUT AS A REASONABLE ESTIMATE BY THE PARTIES AS TO THE DAMAGES RESULTING FROM THE BREACH OF THIS PROVISION.
Return Policy: If the Adopter decides not to keep the pet, the Adopter hereby agrees to return the pet to OOTW. Importantly, the Adopter agrees to give OOTW up to two weeks to secure a proper foster home or facility to board the pet, and the Adopter will provide safe and loving care of the pet until it is returned to OOTW. The Adopter agrees to safely transport or provide safe transport of the pet to the determined home or facility, and will return any/all paperwork and supplies provided by OOTW at that time.
8. The adopter agrees to notify OOTW if the adopter has a change of telephone number or address. The adopter agrees to notify OOTW of any incident involving animal control and/or complaints arising from said ownership of the pet. If the pet becomes lost or stolen, the adopter agrees to notify OOTW immediately.
9. It is agreed and understood by the adopter and OOTW that this Contract sets forth all promises, agreements, conditions, and understandings between them, oral or written and that both parties have fully read and understand the entire Contract.
10. This Contract shall inure to the benefit of and be binding upon the adopter and OOTW and their successors or beneficiaries.
11. In the event of the employment of an attorney by OOTW on account of any violation of this Contract, it is agreed the adopter shall pay OOTW's reasonable attorneys' fees and court costs. Adoption Date: _________________